TaxHawk® Tax Tips

Tax Advice For Parents

The custodial parent has the right to claim the child as a dependent unless that right is released to the noncustodial parent. If released, the waiver needs to be in writing, signed, and attached to the noncustodial parent's return. The waiver can be for one year, permanent, or any other way you want to do it. Form 8332 is the official IRS waiver, but if your divorce decree was before 2009 you can also write up your own waiver and use it as long as it spells out who gets the deduction and is signed by the custodial parent. One item to note is that the custodial parent still has the right to claim Head of Household status, the Earned Income Credit, and Dependent Care Credit even though they have released the right to claim the child as a dependent. However, if waived, the noncustodial parent claims the $2,000 Child Tax Credit.

When can you claim your child as a dependent? If your child is younger than 19 at the end of the year (younger than 24 if a full-time student) and receives at least half of his or her support from you, then the child is a dependent. You can still claim your child as a dependent regardless of age if he or she has less than $0 of gross income and you're providing over half his or her support. In considering whether you provide half of your child's support, factor in the "free rent" he or she receives from you if still living at home.

If you're a grandparent with an adult child and grandchildren living at your home, you're probably providing over half of the support for your grandchildren. If so, the grandchildren are dependents on your tax return and you'll also claim the $2,000 Child Tax Credit.

If you're helping an adult child pay their mortgage and real estate taxes, don't directly pay the bills. Make a gift to your child and have them pay the mortgage and taxes. Unless you're a co-owner in the house, you're not entitled to take any mortgage interest or real estate taxes paid for your child's residence. Also, if you directly paid the bills, your child would not be able to deduct the interest and taxes on their return.
Look over seven common tax mistakes made when filing your tax return with the IRS.

File Your Federal Tax Return for FREE!

Why pay $50, $100, or more to file your federal income tax return? Prepare, print, and file your federal taxes online for FREE with TaxHawk! It's easy, convenient, and accurate. We guarantee it.
TaxHawk helps tax filers find mistakes before they happen.


TaxHawk® is an authorized IRS e-file provider.
IRS e-file
Prepare and file your taxes with confidence.


Our FREE Refund Maximizer helps you find the tax deductions you deserve.


TaxHawk is the Best Bang for Your Buck! Compare our software to the others and you'll see.
TRUSTe Privacy Certification
Security Metrics
© 2002-2019 TaxHawk, Inc. - All Rights Reserved - Terms of Use