TaxHawk® Tax Tips

Divorce Tax Advice

If you're the non-custodial parent and want to claim your child as a dependent, get Form 8332 signed before the divorce is finalized.

The custodial parent has the right to claim the child as a dependent unless that right is released to the non-custodial parent. If released, the waiver needs to be in writing, signed, and attached to the non-custodial parent's return. The waiver can be for one year, permanent, or any other way you want to do it. Form 8332 is the official IRS waiver, but if your divorce decree was before 2009 you can also write up your own waiver and use it as long as it spells out who gets the deduction and is signed by the custodial parent. One item to note is that the custodial parent still has the right to claim Head of Household status, the Earned Income Credit, and Dependent Care Credit even though they have released the right to claim the child as a dependent. However, if waived, the non-custodial parent claims the $1,000 of Child Tax Credit along with the dependency exemption.

Child support is nondeductible by the payer, and is not included in the taxable income of the recipient. An alimony recipient includes the alimony as income on his or her tax return.

If you're legally required to pay any medical expenses for your ex-spouse, deduct the expenses as alimony instead of on Schedule A as an itemized deduction.

If you do not have custody of your child, you can still deduct your child's medical expenses on your tax return if you're the one who pays the medical expenses.
Look over seven common tax mistakes made when filing your tax return with the IRS

File Your Federal Tax Return for FREE!

Why pay $50, $100, or more to file your federal income tax return? Prepare, print, and file your federal taxes online for FREE with TaxHawk! It's easy, convenient, and accurate. We guarantee it.
TaxHawk helps tax filers find mistakes before they happen


TaxHawk® is an authorized IRS e-file provider.
IRS e-file
Prepare and file your taxes with confidence.


Our FREE Refund Maximizer helps you find the tax deductions you deserve.


TaxHawk is the Best Bang for Your Buck! Compare our software to the others and you'll see.
TRUSTe Privacy Certification
Security Metrics
© 2002-2019 TaxHawk, Inc. - All Rights Reserved - Terms of Use