TaxHawk® Tax Tips

Seven Common Tax Mistakes

1.  Dependents' Social Security Numbers
If you had a baby last year, you need to get a Social Security number for your child before you file your tax return. The IRS will not allow you to claim the Child Tax Credit or Earned Income Credit without a valid Social Security number.

2.  Head of Household
Don't file as Single if you qualify to file as Head of Household. You'll get a bigger refund if you file as Head of Household. If your ex-spouse claims your child as a dependent on his or her tax return, but the child lives with you, then you can probably still file as Head of Household. Also, if you can claim a parent, grandparent, nephew, niece, brother or sister as a dependent on your tax return, you can probably file as Head of Household.

3.  File for an Extension
File an extension if you can't complete your tax return by April 15th. If you don't file an extension, you'll be charged an additional penalty of 5% a month. Many people who owe tax on April 15th make the big mistake of not filing an extension because they don't have any money to send in with their extension. By sending in an extension even without any payment, you avoid the large 5% a month late-filing penalty and only have to pay the much smaller late-payment penalty.

4.  Custodial Parent
A custodial parent who has released the right to claim their child as a dependent to their ex-spouse still has the right to claim Head of Household status, the Earned Income Credit, and the Dependent Care Credit. However, if released, the non-custodial parent claims the $2,000 Child Tax Credit.

5.  Match Your 1099s
Make sure that your tax return numbers match the 1099s you receive from your broker, employer, or investment company. The IRS receives a copy of all 1099s issued to you so they can compare what's on your tax return with what is shown on the 1099s.

6.  IRAs
If you have a Traditional IRA or Simple IRA, you're required to receive a minimum distribution when you reach age 70 1/2. If your distribution is less than the minimum required distribution, a 50% excise tax may be imposed on the shortfall, so be sure to withdraw the required amount each year.. Minimum distributions do not apply to Roth IRAs.

7.  Early 401(k) or IRA Distribution
If you're younger than age 59 1/2, think twice before you take an early distribution from your 401(k) or IRA account. A 10% early distribution penalty is charged along with federal and state tax on the distribution. A large distribution will bump a taxpayer up to a higher tax bracket, so you also end up paying a higher rate of taxes on your regular income.
Look over seven common tax mistakes made when filing your tax return with the IRS.

File Your Federal Tax Return for FREE!

Why pay $50, $100, or more to file your federal income tax return? Prepare, print, and file your federal taxes online for FREE with TaxHawk! It's easy, convenient, and accurate. We guarantee it.
TaxHawk helps tax filers find mistakes before they happen.


TaxHawk® is an authorized IRS e-file provider.
IRS e-file
Prepare and file your taxes with confidence.


Our FREE Refund Maximizer helps you find the tax deductions you deserve.


TaxHawk is the Best Bang for Your Buck! Compare our software to the others and you'll see.
TRUSTe Privacy Certification
Security Metrics
© 2002-2019 TaxHawk, Inc. - All Rights Reserved - Terms of Use